Meters are read each month. Find the 2019 meter schedule here.
Utility bills are mailed on the first day of each month and are due on the 15th day of each month. If the 15th falls on a weekend or a holiday, payment is due on the next business day. Payments received after the 15th of the month are subject to a 10% penalty charge. New residents renting a home or apartment must fill out a water and sewer utility service deposit application form. This form can be picked up at the village office or downloaded from the village web site. A $100.00 deposit is required to set up service for a rental property inside the village limits; and a $150.00 deposit is required for property outside of the village limits. The deposit is held for the entire period that you are renting. When you move out, the deposit is applied to your final bill. If there is a credit, the balance will be refunded to you. If there is a balance remaining, you are responsible for payment of remaining balance. Please contact Utility Billing if there are any specific questions at 419.826.9515.
Water shut offs, for nonpayment of utility bills, occur in the first week of the respective month. In the past, Village crew members only shut off water service to customers with two months of nonpayment. Effective in January 2019, shut offs will occur to all customers with a delinquent balance.
In January 2019 late payments must be received at the Village Municipal Building on or before close of business Wednesday January 2, 2019 at 4:30 p.m. After 4:30 p.m., payments may be placed in the night box. These payments will be collected at 8:00 a.m. Thursday January 3, 2019 and considered ON TIME. If payment is not received by 8:00 a.m., and the account is delinquent, a Village crew member will shut off water service on Thursday January 3, to those respective customers. Water service will not be restored until payment in full, including the disconnection fee, is received at the Village Municipal Building.
- ACH direct payment, authorizing the Village of Swanton to automatically deduct your bill from your checking or savings account
- Send payment by mail
- Drop off payment at the Village Municipal Building
- Pay online through your local bank or through SmartBill
More Payment Options
We know paying utility bills isn’t your favorite thing to do, so we’re making it as easy as possible for you to make a payment. This October 2019, the Village of Swanton will be launching a new user-friendly, electronic payment system. You can look forward to being able to:
- Pay your utility bill anytime 24/7 via an easy-to-use online portal
- Manage your account and view up to two years of payment history
- Receive email reminders when your bill is ready, when a scheduled payment is pending and a confirmation after making a payment
- Make a one-time payment or register to gain access to all features
- You choose when to pay – simply schedule a payment for any future date (before the due date)
- Set it and forget it with Autopay…save time and avoid late or missed payments. You can sign up for Autopay at the Village Municipal Building
- On the go? Use Pay by Text to get text notifications about your bill and have the option to pay through text message with your default payment method